6 tips for the responsible flyer
1. Low carbon travel
: We are huge fans of train travel. It’s a great way to see a destination and has a much lower carbon impact than flying - some estimates say it generates just an eighth of the emissions. We encourage travelers to take the train when possible. You'll find a wide range of vacation options on the site that are based in Europe and reachable by train if you live in the UK.
Wherever you are in the world, think about vacationing closer to home
. For those of you based in the UK you'll be pleased to hear that the UK is our top selling destination at Responsible Travel. See our UK vacation ideas
3. Try and avoid internal flights
within a destination - use local public transport where possible and travel on foot or by bike to explore smaller areas.
4. Take fewer short breaks by air - and fly direct when you can
. Shorter flights and stopovers are more polluting per passenger mile than longer flights as take off and landings generate a significant part of the total emissions per flight.
5. Take fewer vacations and stay for longer
- that way your vacation creates greater benefits to conservation and local communities in the destination.
When you do fly, make it count
- take a responsible vacation
that benefits local communities, helps fund protected areas and encourages the preservation of wildlife.