Yoga & volunteer teaching in Kerala, India
Responsible tourism: Yoga & volunteer teaching in Kerala, India
We are addressing our local environment by working with local communities, local charities, local government bodies, local schools, or indigenous tribes. Our tours are carefully selected – we only partner with local tour operators that are either committed to responsible tourism themselves, are eco-friendly, or have ethical policies. Of course we have to use transport and where possible our local guides encourage walking or biking and traveling on public transport- buses, railways or took tuks. This can minimize our demand for special tourist vehicles and fuel whilst giving you plenty of opportunity to meet and interact with local people/communities.
Our operations are also eco- friendly as we introduce policy of minimising and properly disposing of waste created, by conserving energy and water, and by ensuring that endangered wildlife and environmentally compromised areas are treated with respect.
On our heath,construction and women’s empowerment programs we focus on environmental development projects such as recycling, gardening and planting trees.
Our independent travel options and small group sizes help us to tread lightly and to use more environmentally sound forms of transport, minimizing impact, and ideally enriching the environment.
We will offer traveler’s tips on how to conserve water, reduce waste, and otherwise minimize the environmental impact of their trip. We hope that our travelers will be able to take some of the conservation tips they learn home with them.
Wherever possible, our employees use recycled paper and recycle waste created in the office, as well as attempting to minimise waste created and be a “paperless” office. We also work to minimise energy and water consumption in our offices, and we encourage our partners to follow similar waste management and energy philosophies.
This program is hugely beneficial to the local community in many ways
1. We will be getting local yoga teachers who will be given a salary for taking the yoga classes. The retreat is also in a fishing village in the backwaters of Kerala and the use of their house for yoga practice will be generating employment of cooks, cleaners and retreat staff as well as the local retreat will be earning from this.
2. We work with children in the schools who need volunteers. Without volunteers the children will not learn correct English as the teachers are no well spoken in English. The children can also learn skills like arts and sports through the volunteers. At present they do not have resources or the means to learn this. With volunteers we can buy them equipment or necessary art supplies and help the children get creative.
3. We only work with local guides who know the area best. This is a great way of learning the culture and locals earn an income through this project.
4. We buy our food supplies from local vegetable markets. All our food is sources locally and is fresh from the seasons produce. This inevitable helps local farmers.
5. To give you a true understanding of life in a country we will arrange your accommodation in home stays with a family or will house you in a very local area.
Popular similar India vacations
Learn more in our 2 minute guides: