This tour is aimed at introducing our travelers to the people, cultures and countries of Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand, and not cocooning them from it. This is helped by the tours and activities we include in the itineraries, having some free time to explore, and keeping our group sizes small and also running the tour privately for families, couples or groups of friends.
We take responsible travel very seriously, and have given some details below of how this is implemented on this tour.
- We chose our local suppliers in Thailand very carefully and are very impressed with their attitude to responsible tourism in their country, and to supporting local people and different regions not normally visited by many tourists. They have helped us incorporate their beliefs and our own principles into our itineraries and to find like-minded operators in Vietnam and Cambodia so that we all work well together as a team when putting these vacations together.
- We use fully-trained tour leaders, guides and reps, rather than flying in Western leaders whose knowledge and love of the country will never be as full or passionate.
- We use small locally owned and operated hotels wherever possible, as well as home-stays and tribal village huts, where your stay directly benefits small families and village communities.
- Adventurous jungle activities such as hill-tribe treks are run with the assistance of the local tribal villages to their benefit.
- One of the highlights of the tour is finding and enjoying local food in a wide range of small restaurants and snack shops.
- We give information and advice to our travelers on how to respect local customs and religious practices, giving them a greater understanding of the local people and culture.
- We often use public transport including river-boat ferries for longer journeys instead of flying, so reducing extra pollution and energy use.
- Explanations are given during the adventurous sections of how the local people manage their forest resources and how we can help them to sustain it. This includes using renewable bamboo for our rafting rather than man-made materials.
- We have a recycling policy in our UK and local offices and re-use or recycle the information booklets we provide to every client on arrival wherever possible.
Local projects & charity support:
- We donate £2 for every person traveling on this tour to the Border Green Energy team to help this dedicated group build community micro-hydro systems and train Karen Thai villagers to operate, maintain and repair solar electric systems
- Our travelers are welcome to arrange visits to these projects and to support them personally if they wish.
- The company also supports further projects and charities internationally. Responsible Tourism: We send all our travelers a copy of our responsible tourism policy before their vacation, and encourage them to read it and join us in following the ideas and suggestions contained within it.