This trip can be tailor made throughout the year to suit your requirements
Responsible tourism: History and archeology vacation in Naples
“See Naples and then die!” is a popular saying amongst locals, so famous that it was taken up by Goethe in his “Italian Journey” This tour will take you through the land of Campania, where, thanks to local guides you can discover the origins of these words, then venture on foot towards Mount Vesuvius, with an expert in volcanology.
The area surrounding the volcano is within the Vesuvius National Park, established in 1995 with the aim of protecting the flora, fauna, and ecological balance of 8,000 hectares of protected natural wonder.
When planning our tours we are careful to select accommodations, restaurants and transport that demonstrates sustainable environmental stewardship, using local materials and produce whenever possible. We pay attention to the impact of travel and tourism on seasonal, natural and agricultural events, to minimise the impact on the local environment (harvest, plant growth, endangered wildlife, or mating seasons, etc). We do our best to apply the principles of responsible tourism, enshrined in the charter of the Association for Responsible Tourism in Italy. AITR's charter complies with the Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria.
- We select tourism providers who can show transparent and accountable business operations through environmental and social audits;
- We organize itineraries that can be completed without haste, with a limited number of destinations each day - ensuring our customers can gain a greater enjoyment from the local area;
- We keep groups small, so that travelers can fully experience the destination, and this way we protect the local area from the harmful impact of large tourist groups.
- We avoid excessive organization, allowing travelers to research the destination themselves, if they want, so that they can appreciate it more completely;
- We prefer to work with locally-owned service providers and vendors (transport, accommodation, catering, etc.), or small scale, regional providers;
- We encourage travelers to spend locally and fairly (i.e. purchase crafts directly from the artist, at a fair price)
- We bring travelers to areas that have expressed the need and desire to welcome travelers, and generally aim to avoid in-season peaks, to help sustain tourism outside of peak times.