South Downs vacation cottages, England
£375To£890 per cottage per week (sleeps 4)
Description of South Downs vacation cottages, England
1 Reviews of South Downs vacation cottages, England
5 out of 5 stars
Reviewed on 06 Oct 2020 by Bernie Hughes
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?
The area was beautiful, and the cottage absolutely delightful. It was great to
spend time with family doing some long walks
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?
Take some good walking shoes and make the most of the wonderful downs
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?
Yes, we were frequent visitors to the local restaurants and pub. And to the
wider community by visiting Eastbourne and Brighton to shop and eat
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?
10 out of 10. You even arrange some decent weather!!!
As the pioneers of responsible tourism, we've screened this (and every) vacation so that you can travel knowing it will help support the places and people that you visit, and the planet. Read how below.
PlanetHere at The Beachyhead Vacation Cottages we realise that tourism is a terrific business which can benefit the local community, environment and visitors. However, if it is not regulated, insensitive tourism can threaten the quality of the tourism experience and the local environment. We are committed to providing attractive and comfortable accommodation, whilst bringing benefits to the local community and doing what we can to protect our immediate countryside and enhancing the visitor experience to Beachy Head.
To show our commitment we have a Gold Award under Green Tourism Business Scheme. This scheme provides accreditation training & encouragement for tourism businesses to reduce the environmental impact of their activities. By encouraging sustainable practices the scheme ensures the continued enjoyment of the environment around us for future generations.
Our aims and what we are doing to achieve them:
• To reduce energy consumption we have installed low energy lighting and bulbs, the cottages are fitted with A & B energy efficient rated electrical equipment (washing machine, fridge, freezer, and dish washer). Our boilers run at over 95% efficiency and the cottages have 8 inches of insulation under the floor. We also record our energy use levels of electricity, gas and water in each cottage so we can measure any improvements we make.
• To reduce water wastage we fitted small toilet cisterns with dual flush loos. The taps have aerators and all the cottages have showers.
• Improve the local Environment. The cottages are part of the overall farming and Estate business. Visitors come to the cottages because the environment is so special. Visitors and the need to have repeat business encourage us to maintain the countryside and estate walls and buildings. As a result we have taken the farm out of intensive farming, removing the need for harmful chemicals and sprays.
• Recycling and composting all waste – we aim to recycle and compost as much as possible to save natural resources, save energy, reduce the need for landfill and reduce the cost of disposal. Recycle bins are available for guests to use as well as encouraging guests to feed scraps to the chickens and use the composting bins
• We aim to keep the use of pesticides and hazardous substances to a minimum both on our land and in the cottages. The Farm is managed under the Organic Farming Scheme as well as the Environmentally Sensitive Area Scheme which prevent the use of pesticides, non-organic fertilisers and has seen an increase in wildlife. Where possible we use natural products in the cleaning and maintenance of the cottages, e.g. Ecover cleaning products
• To reduce dependency on cars we encourage guests to have car free days out, by using local transport, hiring bicycles or walking with the aim of minimising the use of the car and fuel consumption.
• Enhance the visitor experience by building on our location in beautiful countryside close to the sea. We supply details of wonderful walks and actively encourage visitors and children to enjoy all the wild life on their door step. In addition to the Sheep Centre and rare breeds in the fields around the cottages we provide binoculars and information from the RSPB for identification of our ‘feathered’ visitors
PeopleEast Dean, winner of several Best Kept Village Awards is a very thriving community, and it is always important to support each other. We have in each Cottage a book of knowledge which will advise guests of the many local attractions and activities available right here on their doorstep.
Here in the village you may wish to drink and dine at the famous Tiger Inn pub or Thai Restaurant, visit the local Deli or Tearooms here on The Green. You can visit the Sheep Centre, where there are over 40 different breeds of sheep. You can help feed the lambs, meet the animals and take a tractor trailer ride. Groups of 5 or more can arrange to have a Brewery Tour at the Beachy Head Brewery.
There are many pretty villages to explore with good pubs, restaurants, antique shops and tearooms. Every Wednesday right here in the village we hold the Local Farmers Market.
We recognise that is our responsibility to help address local issues, and we work very closely with the local council where necessary to address these with regards to the environment.
We host many summer fete's to support local charities as well as a annual music festival here on The Green, which is very popular to support a chosen charity at the time.
Beachyhead.org is an organisation which includes the Vacation Cottages, The Tiger and The Beachy Head Brewery providing many employment opportunities across the board in the local area, the employment roles are varied and everyone is paid fairly. All employees are fully trained for their role and training courses are constantly offered enhancing employees personal development.
All guests to the Vacation Cottages/The Tiger and East Dean are provided with the warmest welcome. We greet all guests where possible to ensure they have everything they will require for a very comfortable stay as well as making sure they are provided with the information they will need with regards to local amenities etc.
Popular similar vacations
From £10 per pitch per night
Tranquil secluded site in idyllic South Downs setting
From £350 - £495 per yurt (3 nights)
Elegant yurts in 150 acres of ancient woods river & wildlife