2 independent reviews for Iran vacation, Persian Explorer
Reviews for Iran vacation, Persian Explorer
julia turkington review 13 Jan 2016
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?Forget any concerns about Iran being dangerous, hostile of unfriendly. Highlights are numerous: Shiraz's blue mosques with amazing mekhana, after which, it being New Years Eve, we had blue cocktails and a blue cake (thanks to our guide, Mark). Persepolis's reliefs, Towers of Silence where Zoroastrians left their dead for birds to pick their bones, wind towers to cool houses, mud merchant houses in Kashan, pistacio icecream sandwiches at a service station, watching at a Zurkhanah where men showed their muscles in a sweaty ritual, accompanied by chanting and drumbeats, old men singing love songs to each other by Khaju Bridge in Isfahan, the complicated but worthwhile procedure for buying wonderful sweets at Hodj Kalife Rahiber's sweetshop, the views from The Art House Cafe in Khasan (no wifi- lets pretend it is 1995 says their notice) and carpet shops, mosques and more mosques....
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?Dress is more liberal than you might expect. Hair covering is compulsory but hair can show, and a wooley hat or turban covering a reasonable amount of hair is fine. Tight trousers are fine if worn with a top that covers your bottom - mid-thigh length tunics are ideal. Take wet wipes for toilets.
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Local people were delighted to see us and give a good impression of their country. We bought pottery and other crafts from the people who made it - pottery students and local craftsmen.
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?Outstanding guides, hotels good on the whole but but rather drab in Shiraz.
Anne Higgins review 9 Jan 2016
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?Learning about the culture
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?Women - make sure you follow the dress code. as it gets hot in the summer months it might be better to do this trip in January when it is cooler. We only had 1.5 days of rain the other times we had lovely blue sky.
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Yes
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?Very good
You can trust Responsible Travel reviews because, unlike many other schemes, reviews can ONLY be written by people who we have verified have been on the holidays. In addition, we don't run these holidays ourselves - our only interest is giving you the best independent advice.