2 independent reviews for Northern Lights vacation in Finnish Lapland, Harriniva
Reviews for Northern Lights vacation in Finnish Lapland, Harriniva
Carolyn Christiansen review 26 Jan 2020
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?That's a difficult question because there were so many, I couldn't pick just one. From seeing the snow glittering on the trees as we snowshoed through the Narnia like nighttime forest, to the excitement of dog sledding and getting hugs and kisses from the dogs after our trip, to seeing the Northern Lights, to sitting under a blanket in the stillness of the night as a reindeer pulled our sleigh across a frozen lake; it was all magical. Many memories to last a lifetime.
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?Bring a book, games, cards, snacks such as popcorn, hot cocoa. We travelled with our 2 young adult children. Our activities were all at night so while we skied, hiked and explored during the day, there was time before and after dinner that we spent in our cabin and were glad for having brought playing cards and snacks.
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Absolutely. This was all confirmed in conversations had with the staff, the dog handlers and the reindeer herder. I also appreciated that all items in the gift shop were made in Finnland. A suggestion would be to add paintings and drawings by local artists.
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?Definitely a 5 star vacation. We enjoyed every meal and the options. The staff were knowledgable and friendly. Our cabin was perfect, the beds comfortable and the sauna a delight. The excursions were well done, the guides excellent. They explained things well, our safety and an enjoyable experience were their primary concern.
Gillian McDonnell review 11 Mar 2018
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?There were many memorable parts to this vacation, from catching a glimpse of the lights, to riding snow mobiles through the forest at night, to breathing such beautiful clean air. The vacation was magical.
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?There is no need to buy lots of specialist clothing, just some thermals and a couple of base layers. No need to dress up. Also don't stress about seeing the lights, the vacation is fabulous and if you get to see them its "the icing on the cake", enjoy all the wonderful experiences and the beauty and magic of the place.
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?The vacation was so interesting from the environmental and conservation point of view. We went on the Sami culture day which explained so much about how they lived and how they worked with the environment. A truly beautiful, unspoilt place.
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?
You can trust Responsible Travel reviews because, unlike many other schemes, reviews can ONLY be written by people who we have verified have been on the holidays. In addition, we don't run these holidays ourselves - our only interest is giving you the best independent advice.