Trans Atlantic sailing vacation, USA to UK
£3199 excluding flights
Description of Trans Atlantic sailing vacation, USA to UK
2022: 16 Apr, 7 May
As the pioneers of responsible tourism, we've screened this (and every) vacation so that you can travel knowing it will help support the places and people that you visit, and the planet. Read how below.
Planet"100 million marine mammals are killed each year from plastic pollution", something we are highly aware of as a sailing operator.
Protecting the environment starts on board. Our very clear rules on how we deal with waste on board:
• No metal. plastic or glass will ever be thrown overboard, no matter how far out to sea we are.
• Food waste will only be thrown overboard If we are more than 6nm offshore.
• The skipper and mate will brief the crew on when it is appropriate to use the on-board heads and when not. This will depend on how far from land we are, whether we are in tidal waters and on the sensitivity of the environment. In some locations. no human waste at all will be ejected from the boat: Instead it will be diverted Into a holding tank and removed at a suitable time.
• Local resources such as water and electricity can be in short supply, especially on remote islands and a large yacht arriving can put too much demand on these services and supplies. To counter this, where the skipper feels it is appropriate, he will inform the crew and ask them to maintain the 'at sea' approach: that is to say minimal usage and wastage.
• Except for our emergency supplies, we will not buy bottled water.
"When we weigh anchor in a bay, the only trace that we have ever been there will be the mark in the sand where our anchor once was. We are totally self-sufficient, and that's part of the magic."
PeopleRESPECT FOR CULTURES AND SHARING OUR OWN
On these voyages we form a very tight group which is a huge part of the experience. However, as a result it can be all too easy to make landfall and then forget that we are guests in someone else's country, with their own culture and customs.
Once ashore, you'll find it can be quite the cultural exchange. Our trips are designed so that you get to mix with the locals as much as possible. The locals are often just as fascinated about you and your journey as you are about them. It's not often a yacht the size of ours arrives in town. The locals you’ll meet on this trip will love to hear about the voyage you are on; where you've been to and where you're headed. You will find they are usually delighted that we have chosen to stop at their town and will want to tell you all about it.
SUPPORTING THE LOCAL COMMUNITY
Unlike many vacations, on these voyages you will be the ones heading out into the local towns and markets and buying all the food we need. Not only does this mean we are eating the local produce, but it also means many hundreds of pounds is put straight into the local economy and not just via trinkets and souvenirs.
We often also need to buy spares for the boat and employ a local tradesmen to help us carry out repairs. This again is a really powerful source of funds to local workmen and companies. As most or this expenditure goes directly to the locals rather than to large multi-nationals, it means that it stays in the community and directly benefits them.
The particular issue of coastal communities
Many coastal areas are experiencing particular pressure from a change in lifestyles and economic realities. They are very attractive places both for tourists and for vacation home owners, meaning that the local population are often squeezed out to accommodate the influx. Previously they may also have been very reliant on the fishing industry which now has real problems of its own. The combination of these factors has put many of of our stop overs under huge economic and social pressure. Our use of marinas and berthing fees. our purchase of food and supplies and our use of the local tradesmen and companies all produce very real benefits along the way and we're delighted that that's the case.
Popular similar vacations
From £2399 12 days excluding flights
Awe inspiring sailing & exploration, Iceland to Scotland
From £2399 11 days excluding flights
Ocean passage above the arctic circle