Trek to Everest base camp and Gokyo Lakes
US $1815ToUS $1885 excluding flights
Description of Trek to Everest base camp and Gokyo Lakes
Check dates, prices & availability
As the pioneers of responsible tourism, we've screened this (and every) vacation so that you can travel knowing it will help support the places and people that you visit, and the planet. Read how below.
PlanetWe operate this trek to Everest base camp via Gokyo lakes in accordance with the guidelines of the Leave No Trace Organisation.
Key to this approach are:
• We are committed to the enjoyment, health and protection of the Himalaya
• We believe that education is the best means to protect Himalaya and we ensure all our guides and clients understand how important this is and what they need to do to protect the mountain
• We believe that practicing the Leave No Trace principles is the most relevant and effective long-term solution to maintaining the beauty, health of, and access to natural lands.
Specifically on this trek we use lodges and tea houses where:
• All trash is packed out for recycling or disposal
• All cooking is done on kerosene stoves and no wood is ever cut or used
• All drinking water is boiled and given to clients in refillable bottle
• No washing is allowed in streams-clients are provided with water for washing that is disposed of well away from any water source
• Water use is minimised
We run small groups (maximum of 12 people) as these have a minimal impact on the Himalayas' fragile eco-system. All our guides are responsible for ensuring that the guests understand the nature of the environment that they are in and minimise the impact that they may have.
PeopleAll of the staff we employ on the trek to Everest base camp via Gokyo lake are local: we do not employ any non local guides or administrative staff so that more of the money you pay goes back into the local economy. All our guides are English speaking but they are all local people with strong family and cultural ties to the area in which you will be trekking.
We use and support local hotels, such as Shanker Hotel, and local transport providers again ensuring the maximum benefit to the local people. We support the guidelines of the International Porter Projection Project and work to maintain high standards of welfare for all our guides and porters covering wages, clothing, accommodation, food and tips.
• All our guides and porters are insured and receive medical care when ill or injured
• We provide dry, basic accommodation for our guides and porters and they are provided with plenty of food and warm drinks.
• All our staff are insured for emergency rescue.
• We provide them with clothing appropriate for the trek and season.
• We have maximum weights for all porters so that they are not overworked
For this trek we pay the Everest conservation fee and National Park fee. These have been critical in funding all the environmental protection undertaken over recent years particularly helping tea houses adopt good practice with waste and water and fuel usage.
Popular similar vacations
From US $3599 - US $3779 19 days excluding flights
This high altitude trek explores the heart of Sherpa homeland