5 independent reviews for Sweden hiking vacation, self guided
Reviews for Sweden hiking vacation, self guided
Ruth Pojer review 7 Jul 2019
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?The tour was exceptional. Wonderfully organised. Scenery spectacular.
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?We had only contact with the local agent who was beyond helpful. There was nothing that was too much effort for Carmen.
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?This has been the best of the eleven self guided walks we have done to date.
Felicity Bond review 3 Aug 2017
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?Traveling through the Archipelago.
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?Be prepared for some early starts and long days and the necessity to make time-sensitive connections with boats, ferries buses and taxi transfers - so not necessarily relaxing. Also, be aware that Sweden is outrageously expensive for eating out - be sure to factor that in!
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?We didn't choose this vacation with these aspects in mind. Although walking should reduce environmental impact, we did use a lot of other modes of transport. Presumably our payments filter down into the local economy - though not really an issue in a wealthy country like Sweden.
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?It fulfilled our desire to see the Archipelago and undoubtedly the excellent weather contributed to our enjoyment of the scenery.
Bronwen Davies review 23 Aug 2016
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?For me, the most exciting part of the vacation was probably being whisked from our quiet hotel in Stockholm, through the city and out into the country, in a brand new and powerful electric taxi, driven by an extremely competent driver, and being delivered to the almost empty, peaceful car park at Tullgarn Palace, to await Carmen's arrival (she was bringing two other small parties who were setting out on the same vacation as us). After that there were endless memorable moments: tramping along the Soderlandsleden very well-waymarked trail, through the woods; exploring the islands at Stendorren and Savo; seeing creatures we hadn't seen before, such as a slow worm, an otter, a white-tailed sea eagle; learning about the Baltic Sea at Naturum visitor center; lounging in the saunas in Nynashamn; the wonderful meals wherever we stayed; the jazz evening we stumbled on in one of the restaurants in Nynashamn; paddling and bathing in the Baltic at Natarro and Alo; the fast boat trip from Savo; the sedate boat journey on the MS Flora; the amazing ferry journey back through the archipelago to Stockholm; the smells of the woods and forests...
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?Top tips: 1. Make sure you arrive the day before the vacation starts, or stay an extra day at the end, to take up the suggestions for walking in or near Stockholm itself: we took up the Eco Park option and spent a day walking in Djurgarten, unwinding from our journey to Stockholm, catching a glimpse of deer in the park, eating at the Rosgatan (?) organic gardening project, and seeing another side of the city, before setting out on our trip. The information pack Carmen left at our hotel the evening before Day 1 gave us all the information we needed to do this. 2. To use the public transport system in Stockholm you need to buy either one Access card, which can be used to buy tickets for a group of people traveling together; or an Access card for each person, which can be used to buy 24-hour or 72-hour travel cards. Assuming that you are spending day 1 in Stockholm, it may be a good idea to have bought these online before you travel, so that you can use them as soon as you arrive. 3. Carmen gave us lots detailed information before and during the booking process and she was very responsive to my emails. She was also very patient and helpful in answering questions about things that were not clear to me. She resolved a problem which arose during the vacation very promptly and efficiently. She prepares an individual pack of information for your party to use on the walk itself, with maps and everything you need to know, day by day. You may not have time to do all the things that are recommended in each place, but don't worry, just go with the flow and enjoy discovering Sweden outside the city of Stockholm.
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Yes. Carmen clearly books with local firms and providers, as well as using public transport services. We visited a number of nature reserves, where the environment was being actively protected.
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?It was fantastic! We - my husband, myself (in our sixties) and our two young adult children (in their twenties) - all enjoyed it very much.
Sharon Reardon review 28 Aug 2015
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?We particularly enjoyed the first three days walking to and around Trosa. The walks through forests, along the coast and around islands were quite varied and really lovely. They provided a fantastic start to our vacation and a memorable introduction to the Stockholm archipelago.
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?Take all optional sections of the walks. This will maximise your opportunity to see as much as possible of the scenery. If you enjoy swimming, take the opportunity to swim whenever it is available.
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?As the vacation largely involved walking and catching public transport, it probably did have a reduced environmental impact. However, this was not something that I thought about before being asked this survey question.
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?We were impressed with the beauty of Sweden and how easy it was to travel around. Though, no doubt, much of the ease of travel stemmed from Carmen's meticulous and thoughtful planning of the itinerary and the logistics!
Andrew and Sharon Venables review 25 Jun 2014
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?Canoeing on Marviken lakes. Walking in Swedish forests and on coastal paths when there was barely a sound to be heard Taking boats to Islands in the southern archipelago Paddle oat journey to beautiful Mariefred - especially stepping on board to find our bikes already there with all equipment and a welcoming note from the operator
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?Don't hesitate - you will not be disappointed. The organisation and support from the operator is excellent - Carmen does a superb job and makes sure your tailor-made vacation is just that - very personal but not intrusive. Be aware that if you go out of season some restaurants/shops may be closed. However we didn't find that a disadvantage . Also to go early june means missing most of the Mosquitos.
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Yes. We stayed in b&b s run by local people. The hotel wasn't a chain. We were able to shop easily at local supermarkets or buy from small retailers. We used public transport organised by the operator including train, bus boat and taxi. We cycled and canoed and were advised about wild bird nesting areas.
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?Excellent. No complaints at all and would definitely do it again. Credit should be given to Carmen Hamdi who left nothing to chance and organised our stay with extreme professionalism. It was a complicated adventure in many ways with lots of changes of location but everything ran like clockwork and the daily itineraries, which Carmen gave us, were easy to follow and included detailed maps and information which was invaluable
You can trust Responsible Travel reviews because, unlike many other schemes, reviews can ONLY be written by people who we have verified have been on the holidays. In addition, we don't run these holidays ourselves - our only interest is giving you the best independent advice.