Gillian Gillanders review 21 Nov 2018
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?
I was equally enthralled by the beauty of the Tibetan countryside and the wonderful monasteries, and surprised by the friendliness of the Tibetan people.
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?
Mid-late October is an ideal time to go, with beautiful autumn colouring, and fewer crowds than in the summer. You need to be fit and healthy to cope with
the altitude and the considerable climbing involved in exploring the monasteries. Be prepared for some discomfort. A relaxed attitude towards the unexpected helps!
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?
I did not feel that the vacation benefited local people at all. We stayed in hotels owned and run by Chinese (possibly there were no Tibetan run ones of a
suitable standard). Less excusably we always ate in Chinese or Nepali restaurants, when Tibetan ones existed and would have been much preferred by the group. We were constantly plied with bottled water, whereas boiled or filtered water would have been less environmentally damaging.
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?
The trip was well organised and honestly described. The tour company have high standards of customer service and I would not hesitate to recommend them. My
main criticism is that the itinerary was too tight, given the large distances to be covered and the chances of delays. An extra day would have allowed more
time for sightseeing and provided better value for money overall.
Read the operator's response here:
Thank you very much for your comments.
About point 3:
1. We used Tibetan tour guide, driver and tourist bus for the group.
2. The hotels are registerred in Tibet tourism bureau and need pay tax to TTB and the money will be used in infrastructure of Tibet, incl. road building,
3. For the meals, we did not arrange in advance. Our Tibetan tour guide will recommend clients to eat during the trip. There are many restaurants to choose.
4. We offer bottled water and boiled water on the road. But boiled water is not enough because it need get from restaurant. On the bus, there is no method to boil water. So, we have to prepare some bottled water in advance.