2 independent reviews for Uzbekistan small group tour, Uzbekistan odyssey
Reviews for Uzbekistan small group tour, Uzbekistan odyssey
Paul Hill review 7 Oct 2019
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?The Ubek people - so friendly - it was hard not to accept having photos taken with them. Also the architecture, increasing in grandeur from Khiva to Bukhara to Samarkand - breathtaking.
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?Don't go for the food... (although once we started to choose our own restaurants over the guide's recommendations the food improved greatly - but also became less authentic). Be prepared for A LOT of travel. Based on an 8 hour sightseeing day, we estimated to have spent 50% of our time (and 3000km) on trains, planes, minibuses and cars - which got pretty exhausting by the end of the 2 weeks...
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?Our group certainly tried to use local companies and brands rather than international ones - and the hotels felt like locally run establishments rather than international chains which was good. It was also good to get the opportunities to buy directly from the local producers rather than 'tourist shops'. I bought pottery, fabric and metalwork items directly from the craftsman we visited.
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?Excellent - I wouldn't remove anything from the itinerary but 12 days didn't feel long enough to cover what we covered. A couple of 'rest days' would have been appreciated - and the 10 hour round trip to the Fergana Valley at the end, whilst an interesting visit, didn't include anything materially different to what we'd seen already and felt like a long journey to make at the end of an already packed schedule.
Ondre Webb review 27 Sep 2019
1. What was the most memorable or exciting part of your vacation?My most memorable part of the vacation was emerging from our taxi and seeing Registan Square in Samarkand sparkling in the afternoon sunshine. It was absolutely breathtaking.
2. What tips would you give other travelers booking this vacation?Just to relax and soak up everything as it is a full-on itinerary.
3. Did you feel that your vacation benefited local people, reduced environmental impacts or supported conservation?I think local people benefitted from tourists buying local produce.
4. Finally, how would you rate your vacation overall?I had never been on an organised group vacation before and I was a little apprehensive before I went but I needn't have worried as everything was so well organised and hotels, transport, restaurants and places we visited were amazing. I would definitely recommend a vacation to Uzbekistan for the history, the wonderful architecture and the people of Uzbekistan are so happy and kind.
You can trust Responsible Travel reviews because, unlike many other schemes, reviews can ONLY be written by people who we have verified have been on the holidays. In addition, we don't run these holidays ourselves - our only interest is giving you the best independent advice.